Do you hate abortion? That’s ok. Keep reading.
1. Given the fact that many rapes are unreported and/or unbelieved, the only way to make abortion available on demand consistently to rape survivors is to make it available on demand to everyone. (And if you honestly think that rape survivors should be forced to go through with a pregnancy, one that will physically change their bodies permanently, and cause lasting emotional and psychological scars, when they’ve already suffered an invasion of their body worse than anything that anyone should go through, then I’d like to force you to donate a kidney to the next person who asks. It probably won’t kill you… right? And the other person would die without it. Give the person your kidney, you murderer!)
2. Given the fact that many women have already died by being denied medically necessary abortions, the only way to make abortion available to those women who will simply die without one, IN TIME TO SAVE THEIR LIVES, is to have no legal restrictions on what constitutes a “medically necessary” abortion.
If you know the statistic that shows that countries in which abortions are illegal are often those ones with the highest abortion rates, then you know that making abortion illegal doesn’t stop it. Two facts logically follow:
3. Even if you believe that abortion kills a baby — something that not all people believe — it is true that septic abortion kills both mother and fetus. Currently, septic abortion kills about 70,000 women a year, worldwide. That’s with abortion being legal in the United States! Can you imagine how high that number would climb if it were illegal? You can shout and yell all you want about protecting the unborn, but you will not stop abortion by making it illegal. Which is more important to you: shouting about ethics and ensuring that both mother and fetus will die, or facing reality and saving at least the life of the mother?
4. If abortion is made illegal, wealthy women will continue to have safe abortions by traveling to other places where abortion is safe, or by bribing real doctors to perform the task. Only poor women will have septic abortions. Making abortion illegal will harm poor women more than it will harm rich ones. It basically will not harm rich people at all.
5. Kermit Gosnell. Do you think that what this man did is disgusting? I do. I really, really, really do. Let me make this clear: that man was not a real abortion provider. Saying that he is the face of abortion is like saying that Daniel Serrano, the guy who did that… thing… to Priscilla Presley, is a plastic surgeon. Kermit Gosnell would not have a clientele at all if women are allowed to have an abortion in a safe and legal way. Mark my words: the more we restrict safe and legal abortion, the more that the Kermit Gosnells of the world will work their way out of the cracks and find clients. You don’t believe me? Overturn RvW and wait a few years. Or do you not want to take that chance?
Hate abortion if you want. If you do, don’t have one. But remember that the majority of your rationales for hating abortion rest on the supposition that life begins at conception, which is something that not all of us believe and that is not backed up by science. Your “gut feelings” should not dictate all people’s behavior, and you can scream all you want at the hurricane and still get really, really, really wet.
More posts of mine on this topic:
http://nerdloveandlolz.tumblr.com/post/54132605647/are-you-really-pro-life-eight-questions-to-ask On why people who claim to be “pro-life” may really just be “pro-fetus.”
http://nerdloveandlolz.tumblr.com/post/47383106808/im-against-abortion-except-in-the-case-of-rape On the irrationality of the “rape exception” clause.
http://nerdloveandlolz.tumblr.com/post/54076544018/soychorizo-she-was-the-daughter-of-a-single On the ethics of saying that since Wendy Davis was a “teenage mother” that she shouldn’t be pro-choice.
Hey you. Scroll back up there and read that. That’s important.
Making abortion illegal will harm poor women more than it will harm rich ones. PREACH.